Preventing Identity Theft and Fraud
Identity theft and fraud can happen to anyone. We work around the clock to protect your finances, but there is a lot you can do to protect yourself.
ID Theft Assistance Through CyberScout
Have you experienced fraud or identity theft? Receive assistance through Cyberscout®, a Sontiq brand, to help you restore your identity. Call toll-free 1 (844) 228-8970.
Restore your identity.
Life often has plans of its own. Protect your family’s financial future against the unexpected like loss of life, disability, and involuntary unemployment.
4 Tips to Protect Your Username and Password
Make It Unique
Use numbers, upper- and lower-case letters and symbols. Avoid using your first and last name.
Use Different Ones
If a hacker cracks one password, he won’t have access to your others.
Don’t Make It Easy
Never use your last four digits of your Social Security number, birth date, maiden name, etc.
Memorize Them All
Don’t carry a written copy or store them on your cell phone.
Important Reminders to Keep Your Identity and Accounts Safe
- Never share User IDs, passwords, PIN numbers, dynamic tokens, etc. with anyone. Do not leave them in an area that is not locked or secured.
- Never share your login credentials or access code with anyone!
- Do not use the same login name or password on any other website or software.
- Avoid saving passwords to a computer.
- Obtain and install antivirus, anti-malware and anti-spyware software, and consider installation of a firewall and make sure it is automatically updated by the vendor or take necessary steps to keep it updated.
- Limit or eliminate unnecessary web surfing and/or email activity on computers used for Online Banking.
- Be cautious of accessing a financial institution’s website for Online Banking from a public computer such as at a hotel, library, coffee shop or other public wireless access point.
- Educate all company personnel on good cybersecurity practices, such as clearing the Internet browser’s cache before and after visiting websites.
- Verify use of a secure session (https:// and not http://) for Online Banking sessions.
- Never leave a computer unattended when using any Online Banking service, and always lock your computer when away.
- HSFCU employees cannot view your online account password and will never ask you for it.
- Be suspicious of any employment position that requires use of a personal account for business purposes. Such offers for employment as a mystery shopper, payment processor, etc. where you are required to use your personal account for someone else’s business purposes, may not be legitimate.
- Be cautious of requests to move business funds through personal accounts.
- If you are approached to participate in such schemes, immediately contact local law enforcement, the FBI or the Secret Service to let them know.
- For the best online banking experience and security, utilize the latest versions of:
– Google Chrome
– Mozilla Firefox
– Microsoft Edge
- Only download the HSFCU Mobile App from trusted sources-Apple or Google Play Stores
Online Fraud & Protection Guide
Download our Online Fraud & Protection Guide to learn about protecting yourself against fraud and identity theft.
Free ID Theft Assistance
All Hawaii State FCU consumer checking accounts receive free ID Theft Assistance through Cyberscout®, a Sontiq brand.
If you’ve experienced fraud or identity theft, get unlimited access to resolution assistance from fraud investigators who guide you through the identity restoration process. Learn more about protecting yourself online or call toll-free 1 (844) 228-8970.
Additional Resources to Check Out
Discover money management tips, learn new financial skills and more. Check out our wide range of free, short interactive online tutorials.
We’re Here to Help
We’re just a phone call or email away. For your security, do not include your account or personal information in an email.